...Homemade Rainbows...


Monday, April 28, 2008

It's official....

I don't like galvanised fencing hooks! Here's the little bugger.....

Humorously the best of many that didn't get spat back at me today by the hardwood of the fence. It's the same story every time I try and do this. After receiving a few predictable light blows to my thumb I managed to attach some leftover trellis to the fence in preparation for planting some gourd seeds. They were kindly sent to me by Vi at Vi's Corner. I can't wait to get these growing.
In the meantime....my potato has sprouted and is growing nicely. The other one has rotted (I left it too long before planting) so I have replaced it with another.
The snow peas have sprouted also and my french bean seedlings are doing well.

I also dug in the edges for another vege bed in the lawn today. It's not too huge as I've just used old sleepers scavenged from around the yard but it will be plenty to satisfy my latest addiction to onions....plus we need a ready garlic supply. I'd also like some kale and am sure this would make a great companion plant. Will post pics when I get back to it and get some layering done.....I am going no dig with this one.

I am off to have a look at Diggers and Green Harvest (my very favourite garden sources) for some lovely seeds! Hmm maybe some elephant garlic? We may smell but I'm certain we'd have a healthy winter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh I love potatoes. I harvested my lot about 5 months ago- so tasty! I'm now growing sweet potato, which have been growing for roughly 5 months. I'm getting impatient. Can't wait to see if I've been watering a mound of dirt for the last 5 months LOL
x Kathy

Leanne said...

I know what you mean Kathy....you could always have a little dig. I'd say after 5 mths they should be mature. I have a sweetie waiting to go in also....hopefully today. Got it from my Uncle who thought he had none then had a further dig to find a rather large mountain of monsters!
We were quite successful at our other house with the sweet potatoes...unlike normal spuds there's no real clear sign they're ready other than timing and unless you just have a look. Good luck!