...Homemade Rainbows...


Monday, June 16, 2008

By the Bedside...

Mum gave me this delicate and most beautiful little handkerchief on the weekend. It's a sister to the one my sister carried on her Wedding day. It belonged to our Great Grandmother.

I feel it's so precious it should be tucked up somewhere secure like the very back of an underwear drawer, hidden from the world until those moments where you just have to pull it out to have a memory jogging peek and feel.
But just for the moment, I hope not to Mum's discomfort, I have to put it by the bedside. And fittingly also right next to my Great Grandmothers jewellery box.
This jewellery box has accompanied me for many many years now, holding precious items of adornment and small mementos and memories......old rings, school badges, family brooches, charms and buttons.....oh how this box has collected buttons! Unfortunately it is quite worse for wear but it is still my priceless treasure.
Despite the obvious aesthetic value, I love having these items close to me when I'm at my most vulnerable self. So old and loved already by a special woman I barely knew, akin and cognate, I can't help but wonder if we are also allied by nature and life.

3 comments:

ROSA E OLIVIER said...

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita...
!?...passavo per un saluto!

Sabrina said...

How special to have been given these family treasures! I do think it's nice to have them out where you can see and appreciate them. I love the last sentence of your post.

Levin said...

such treasures. i always love things with a history - it doesn't have to be a grand history, just a treasure that someone loved.
l
x