...Homemade Rainbows...


Monday, July 14, 2008

The week in our garden.....

Just an update on the week in our garden....
In addition to my seed potatoes I also became very organised and managed to order my Spring seeds too. So it was time to get my next new raised bed installed and get the layering happening creating some luscious soil so it is ready to plant come late, late August. This bed, despite being kindly precut and drilled and perfectly ready for assembly was such a struggle for me. The digging of the slope and getting the two sleepers to sit flat on top of each other for a level edge running up the yard was very challenging. Don't ask Hubby about it, I'll tell you....after much huffing, back straining (my back is still tender...poor lifting practices), head scratching and blaming it on lacking enough strength being a female (*shame*) I lost my temper and Hubby came to the rescue. Oh dear....
Well here it is (not a great photo I'm sorry) with the layering started and "the girls" helping out.


And as for my conundrum over which fruit tree to plant in the new rock bed....well, you know I was leaning towards citrus and that's how it went. My dilemma was made even easier by taking Mia with me to the nursery where she promptly chose amongst the citrus a delicious Blood Orange....let me tell you I took no convincing. Mia helped plant it that afternoon and then she spent time talking to it to settle it in to it's new home afterwards. I think it's going to be her baby.
On the creepy crawly front....I decided to move and dig up my compost bin ( for various reasons one being to create fertile space for my summer srop of Sugar Baby Watermelon, yes, yum!)....which is why "the girls" were out because there was a resulting bug feast to be had....my goodness! Aside from the white ants (termites) I dug out, and subconsciously let myself dreamily and dare I say it, densely believe were baby bull ants (yes, true, but only because bull ants were nesting in there too I swear), I dug out this huge curl grub with a rather loud gasp of shock. I wish I'd put it on my hand for the photo. I have never dug up such a large one before....Ha! the things that amuse me.....a sign of a healthy compost heap maybe? As for the termites.....I'm silently worrying (hence my dreaming about them last night in their winged stage flying into our house!) but I'm trying to remain in calm denial...I somehow think I will loose this mental battle though. The remainder of the compost that didn't go into my new bed filled several garden pots where I have sown a few of my Spring seeds that I want to get going early. The site of my patch is warm so they should be fine. I have sown half a dozen Rosella's and a few Japanese Raisin Trees...I'm very excited about the Raisin trees though I don't expect fruit from these for quite a while. These can take 3 months to even germinate and the Rosella's 6 months to reach fruiting hence me wanting to get them both going early.


And...as a reward for reading a slightly well, long winded, post about garden bits I am planning on revealing the new "extensions" any patient people may have been waiting to see, tomorrow. Honestly I didn't mean for it to take so long to post about but with little ones and this and that it's dragged on....I should be out to take photo's of it this afternoon. I have to say I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

My mouth is watering with the thought of blood oranges and watermelon! So sweet that Mia has her own tree to nurture and eventually harvest from.
Can't wait to see tomorrow's post on the "extensions."

Anonymous said...

It's all looking so lovely.
I too, can't wait to see the extension pics.

Your blog has become a habit for me now. I'm always checking in to see what you've been up to.

x K