...Homemade Rainbows...


Sunday, July 13, 2008

'taters...



Well the great potato experiment continues...


I was early enough this July, well just last week actually, to snare my share of certified seed potatoes from Green Harvest. We won't however end up living subterraneanly within a mountain of them, though I am hoping to gather a rather large hill in all.....half of them went to Roger for his own deliciously starchy experiment.

We ordered Pink Fir Apple, Kipfler, Aneurin (which appears to be so rare I could not find a picture of one that I could confidently identify on the net? It is purple skinned with yellow flesh) and Desiree.


My original experiment from a store bought spud is still growing but my hopes are not high as I suspect I have not layered the mulch correctly...though it looks very healthy.


Today I planted two new cages with Kipfler and Pink Fir. I need to get some more wire or trellis for the rest but I am wanting to stagger the planting over the next 6 weeks anyway so we have a slightly extended harvest and don't have to rely on storing too much at once while we indulge.

You know, as delicious, wholesome and comforting as potatoes are...I don't think it was actually a wise idea for the poor old hips! But if food prices keep going the way they are here, and as Roger advises, it will help the old hip pocket just fine!


1 comment:

Sabrina said...

For some reason (maybe the fact that I'm a poor farmer?) I've never tried my hand at growing potatoes. I guess I find the process intimidating with our heavy clay-like soil. Your garden looks so nice and well ordered.