...Homemade Rainbows...


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

ruffling a few feathers

I'd been thinking about it.
Ruffling a few feathers.
I think I may have even said it out loud.
After all... cuteness and fluffy bums will only get you so far and for so long.
Even in my garden girls.
I know you heritage breeds are a little precious.
But you see we all still need to contribute 'round here.
No free rides.

And so it seems they may have been reading my mind...
Or perhaps they heard me...ahem.
Down in the coop.
Because it was this I found sitting there in the nesting box this afternoon.
Very sneaky goings on I tell you.
I heard nothing today.
I saw nothing.
Just as it's been for months....months!

I know it wasn't you Sophia because this egg isn't green.
And I know it wasn't you Emmeline or your sister Prudence because yes it's only small and brown...
not delightfully creamy and speckled.

And yes Millie you can also tell Olive I'm still onto you both too.
Like I said...

not green.

And I know it's not Henrietta.
She's too busy leaving peck marks on my toes and making me squeal and jump into the air.
Besides, her comb is too pale right now.
It's a dead giveaway.
Nope... not hers.

But... sweet... quiet... Harriet...
Our ever reliable girl.
I just know this is yours.
No don't turn away in pretense.

All I ask is please, please go and tell the other six to pick up the game a bit?
We do still love eggs here.

15 comments:

Amber said...

Oh so sweet. Such lovely ladies you have yourself there. Isnt it funny when you know who is the layers...come on girl's one for the team...xxx

Christie said...

What gorgeous girls you have! Those red chooks are always the best layers!

Unknown said...

Well, clever little Harriet. By the way, is there a more chook-y name than Harriet? I think that all chooks should be called Harriet. It is the ultimate in Chicken Names. I would LOVE a little lay-er or two, sadly I have a border collie who takes pride in harassing anything smaller than her that dares to breathe. Such a shame...

Stephanie said...

Naughty chickens.

Ariella said...

what a sweet post! Congrats on your egg.

Amanda said...

Your girls are so pretty! Chickens are on my dream list.

Inoureyes said...

Im only getting 2 of my 4 girls laying each day. Its the cold i guess.
I read your post to Ellie, she loved it!

TwigandToadstool said...

That is the cutest chicken post I've ever read. We are chicken enthusiasts here too...right now 5 of our 8 layers are broody!!! Thankfully the chicks are hatching as we speak, so in the next couple of weeks things should go back to normal in the coop!

Enjoy that egg!
Maureen

Lola Nova said...

Look at all your lovely ladies!
I've just been poking 'round your place and it is so pretty here.

We only have the 3 little hens and one has gone all broody recently, poor thing. They are indeed sweet and we also love our eggs! Here's hoping the rest of your girls follow Harriet's example.

Madeline said...

Haha! They are gorgeous even if they are lacking in productivity. Have you tried a natural dewormer. That often worked on our girls if they were lacking in production. Hope the eggs pick up speed soon.

Jodi said...

Mine are so slack at the moment too! You have some serious fine looking ladies there! I got your email but will get back to it on Monday ♥

Levin said...

your chickens are gorgeous. we have two iso browns which are pretty standard looking but give us an egg each every day. and even though they are very plain in looks, they make up for it in personality. my little black frizzle, sabine, is slowly coming out of her shell and being more social. I can't believe how much fun chooks can be. i like to take a cuppa tea down to the pen and sit in there and watch them at play.
hope you get more eggs soon.....
l
x

gardenmama said...

Your post made me smile! : )

biobabbler said...

1) what a delightful post
2) this is the second post I've seen from your part of the world with a picture of the 1st egg of the season. Guess it's time!

Sabrina said...

Well, at least Harriet's pulling her weight! I'm still hoping we'll get some chickens here soon. Need a coop though first...