...Homemade Rainbows...


Monday, May 18, 2009

the perfect remedy

When the whole household looks doomed to spend the weekend overcome by sniffles, sneezes and coughs there really is only one perfect remedy....
to get baking - Pistachio, Banana and Cardamom cake baking.

Then find a sunny spot to scrape the bowl......

and let your creativeness shine by adding a little (or a lot) of orange icing.......

then eat said cake in the garden with pots of lotus tea of course.

Pistachio Banana Cardamom Cake
2 cups plain flour
3/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
3 mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
Preheat oven to 180° C.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
Place sugars and butter in another large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, sour cream, and cardamom and beat until blended. Add flour mixture then beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in the pistachios. Spoon batter into a greased and lined tin. Bake at 180° for about 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Ice with orange icing.
To make the orange icing combine icing sugar (approx3/4 to 1 cup), freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest (about a tablespoon)with a whisk. Adjust your ingredients until you achieve your required consistency. A good hint is to add your orange juice slowly so as not to make your icing too runny....if this happens simply add more icing sugar.....and round you go! Enjoy!

23 comments:

Lisa said...

this looks and sounds so delicious. i have never cooked with cardamom before, i will have to try this! thanks for sharing the recipe.

Madeline said...

Now that is my kind of cure!! I hope y'all are feeling better.
Thank you so much for all of your kind comments on my blog. They really made my day. :)

Erin said...

O.k you had me right at the first 3 ingredients ... Pistachio, Banana, and cardamom. Heavenly ... lol. Definitely gonna try this recipe!

Melissa said...

YUM!!! Wondering how I can adapt for gluten free. xx

karen said...

mm, sounds good. i love your blue plate

Levin said...

hope you are all feeling better - but i have to say, nothing makes me feel better when i have a cold than warm tea and fresh cake :)
l
x

Unknown said...

What an interesting mix. I never would have thought of cardamon and banana cake. Will give this one a whirl. Thanks.

gardenmama said...

You had interest right from the start with the title of this post, yum!
I will certainly be trying this recipe!
Your pictures are lovely, what a beautiful cake!
Feel well soon : )

gardenmama said...

I am back again... I just wrote out the ingredients I need to buy to make this cake, would you share how to make the orange icing? Thank you!! : ) I think it sounds like the best part!

Sabrina said...

Oh what a beautiful looking (and sounding) concoction! I'm sure that loveliness will send you on the path to recovery! Be well.

onegoldensun said...

Yum! Many thanks for posting this recipe. Cardamom is my very favorite spice, and this cake sounds wonderful! I will have to share my favorite mango-strawberry cobbler with cardamom recipe soon.:)

Pip said...

I like how in the first picture the raspberry pink of the jumper shows through the glass bowl with the pale lemon of the left over cake mix. It looks yummy.
Pip

Beck said...

Wow, that cake looks fantastic. Thanks for your comments on my blog, x

Jacqueline said...

yuuummmmm! thanks for including the recipe - M. wants to make his mum a cake for her 70th - I think we just found the one! Get well soon.

Amber said...

Oh my, That looks sensational. I must must try it...thanks..xx

Toni said...

sounds like a wonderful cure for the sniffels. hope everyone is well and hope all enjoyed that lovely cake

gardenmama said...

Hi Leanne!
I just finished writing my post and linked to your recipe! : ) Thank you and YUM!!!!!

Theresa said...

What a gorgeous blog that I am going to enjoy. Theresa (from Hawaii)

Grace said...

Oh my, this looks delicious! I'm putting it on my list right now. Yum!

Julie said...

This looks so so good. Just as I was wishing I knew how to cook it i scrolled down to your generous instructions:) Hope you feel beeter soon.

P.S. I am not sure if I wrote back to you about how touching your comment was bout your grandpas yellow laminate table.

Patricia said...

This looks and sounds very delicious.
Last week I bought a secondhand viewmaster. It reminds me of the good old days.
Have a nice weekend!

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

CAKE Yummmmmmmmmm!

So sorry you were all feeling yucky. I hope your sniffles are gone and your spirits are lifted real soon. Praying you get the peace and rest you need.

Anonymous said...

Your cake look so scrummy that I had to indulge too. So Ronin, Nathan and I enjoyed every last crum. Oh, and I think my bottom enjoyed too (as I hate the most)!!! xx